Here's a cutesy Hareka from Star Blush Girls! I'll probably eventually make one for all members of SBG. Since Hareka is my favorite, I started with her ⭐

Matt/Cwilk

hareka.png

• Like 3

I'm gonna make them all (probably), with Aoke next. I haven't finished any besides this though

Oooh, very nice! I love the amount of detail and shading put into the face ^_^

How did you learn to get so good at pixel art? I'm currently learning how to make better pixel art/sprites, and I'm a bit lost on how to get a good color palette or even start making stuff as detailed as that ;3;

• Like 1

It's very nice you asked me for tips! I don't think I've had that happen to me before

Well, I'll get into some more technical stuff, but the most important things are that you practice, don't be afraid to experiment and try not to give up. That goes for all art in general. 

As for pixel art, there are some things I've learned as I've developed. I personally use Piskel for my art btw. Here are some of those things anyway: it's important not to draw on too small of a canvas, but if you don't feel like upping the canvas size to sth like 50x50 or 64x64, you don't have to. But typically art looks better with more detail. I like making my borders pretty fat too, about 2 pixels or so.

As for coloring, some more in-between colors help for shading. You can see that the face has 4 different shades itself. I also sometimes use dithering, which you can look up if you don't know what that means. I'll add an example below.

Another cool trick I lately discovered was adding those little pixels around the borders, and I love how it looks.

In terms of sketching and drawing the first draft without colors, I struggle with that a lot myself, but I just kind of do it until it looks alright. For palettes the same rule applies: just pick colors until they look good. But colors are another topic as a whole. Maybe this video will help 

Really, you'll probably find more help from somewhere else. But whatever you do, remember to enjoy drawing and don't get discouraged from other people seeming better than you. You might feel like you're falling behind of them, but really, their success wasn't easy or quick either. Everyone's got their own pace and yours is probably faster than you think. Try to discover your own little tricks and challenge yourself with something out of your comfort zone from time to time. Good luck! 

-Matt/Cwilk

Dithering example:

IMG_20190429_222759.jpg

• Like 2

Hey, it's my boy GingerPale! I've seen that video before, but it only makes sense to me from an artist's perspective now.

It's not really enough just to give your art shading, but to give a tone and style through the different colors and color palettes. I know now that I must recognize a style when making pixel art, and I think by starting to practice more and more, I might even be as good as you one day. Like you said, it's all about sampling the colors that you would like to use and finding a balance between each one in order to not only create a stylized product, but one where every piece of the picture, every layer of shading, every color chosen makes for a unique and satisfying pixel creation. The video that you embedded really allowed me to understand the process of color picking a bit better in a more simplistic and humorous way (I mean how can you not find it enjoyable; it's GingerPale!).

I appreciated that you pointed out that you used Piskel--an art creation tool specifically for this kind of stuff (I didn't even know that kind of program existed, or at least to that level of quality and detail).  I'm so glad you pointed it out to me, and I'll be sure to use it as I advance further in my future ventures into spriting and pixel art as a whole. Plus--the program's apparently open-source, so I can use my prior coding skills to tweak Piskel to my liking ^_^.

Though, I've seen dithering done in some art and video games before, I've never actually incorporated it into my own artwork; and that I know what it's called, I can continue to practice it. And by doing so, I'll then be able to shade in many new, different ways. Your example to this "style" of shading really helped out a bunch too, now that I can see clearly what you mean.

All in all, the explanation that you gave of creating pixel art, while pretty basic, is an extremely helpful starting point for me, and it opened my mind up as to how complex art made by using bits on a screen can be. I'll be sure to practice frequently in order to get better at the craft, since art is actually one of my deep passions that I've lost through my years of growing up and reaching adolescence. But now that I've found this hobby, which combines the aspects of both coding (through video game creation), video games, and art (my three favorite things) through developing sprites or just general pixel art, I've certainly found a new home in the digital art community

Thank you soooo much for the tutorial, Matt, I really appreciate it, as you've both taught me something valuable and made my day just a little bit better :).

- Angel/Vanadium

• Like 2

Thank you too! That was very insightful and you seem to have gotten quite a lot out of my humble suggestions. And wow, we have similar passions in game design! Though coding isn't my strongest suit, I would also love to make a fully-fledged game one day!

It's very cool you're able to tweak Piskel like that, it definitely has some shortcomings.

And yeah, GingerPale's great :)

-  Matt/Cwilk 

• Like 2