Sign in to follow this  
Sumner Kagen

Sumner's Daily Song Thread

Hey everyone!

Anyone that knows me well will know that I really love music, and that I have a very wide range of different artists that I enjoy. 

So with that said, I thought that I'd start a thread where every day I will post a different song and/or artist. Hopefully some of you will discover something you love! This will also give me a reason to do some research into the artists and songs that I love so much, which is something I've always wanted to do, but never found the time.

To start this off, I've picked out the song, 'A Reason To Fight' by Disturbed.

The song is sending a positive message about addiction, of all kinds. It says that nobody should be ashamed of their addiction to something, because it is a disease and virus rather than a choice. The frontman of the band, David Draiman was sent the idea of the song by the guitarist Dan Donegan, who said:

"I know people who've battled addiction and have seen it in their face - the shame they have - feeling they've let themselves and others down. We wanted to write a song with a positive message for people in that situation to stay hopeful and not give up in the fight, as challenging as it may be. It's an everyday struggle, but there can also be a light at the end of the tunnel."

Addiction is something that I'm suffering with personally, and that people that are close to me are suffering from as well. So, I know how defeated and ashamed one can feel after relapsing. But, I also know that those feelings are the last thing that you want to have, as they only make things worse. Instead, be proud of yourself for trying at all, and be proud of yourself for continuing to try.

The only mistake is when you don't learn from one.

Edited by Sumner Kagen
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hola mi amigos!

Next up I picked out the song "Under Your Scars" by the band Godsmack.

Now this one is about how our imperfections are what make us perfect (contradicting, I know).

There's something that I think people tend to forget, caught up in our own struggles, and that is the fact that every single human on this great big planet Earth has flaws. Everybody has made countless mistakes, and everyone has faults. Even if some don't admit it, we all do.

This song serves as a gentle reminder to those that think they aren't good enough, or that there's someone better than them, or that they're not worthy of their dreams. It reminds us that nobody is perfect, and that the trials we go through, and the mistakes we make are what mold us into who we are now.

Edited by Sumner Kagen
Fixed typo.
  • Like 1

Song number three is a bit different style than the other two.

This one is an oldie but a goldie, Midnight Rider. You might recognize this song from other artists, such as Willie Nelson, Theory of a Deadman, or Edd Adcock who all did popular covers of it. However, this is the original version written by Gregg Allman with help from Tim Payne.

The song is about some sort of faceless 'Midnight Rider' who is on the run from something or someone. There's no official meaning for the song, and it's seen many different interpretations throughout the many different artists that have covered it.

• Like 1

This song was a little hard to choose, because I couldn't decide which of the artist's songs I wanted to do a cover of. 

Eventually, I decided to go with my first pick, Make it rain, by Foy Vance (The version of this found in Sons of Anarchy is a cover by Ed Sheeran).

While there's no official meaning for the song, it does hold significance to me personally. 

To me, the song has two different meanings. The first, is that it is okay to cry, and that we should allow ourselves to feel our emotions freely, without suppressing or denying them. When we cry about something terrible that has happened to us in the past, it can act as a form of great healing. 

The second meaning, is reflected in the first verse, where it says:

Well, I know there can come fire from the sky / To refine the purest of kings / Even though I know this fire brings me pain / Even so / And, Lord, just the same

I think of the challenges that we all face in life when I listen to these lyrics. These difficulties can be painful, physically and emotionally, but these challenges are what make us grow - No pain, no gain as they say.

I've come to learn to accept the trouble that I face in life, for two reasons. The first, is that no matter how lucky, how kind, or how careful you are, you will always face struggles. It's a fact of life. The second, is because these troubles that we face prepare us for the future, they make us stronger and wiser, so that we may achieve.

Give the song a listen and come up with your own interpretation to it.

Hello my friends!

Today, I bring to you the wonderful Simple Man - Covered by Shinedown (See? I like covers AND originals)!

Originally written by Lynard Skynard for their debut album "(Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd)", the song was then later covered by Shinedown in the Deluxe version of their "Leave a Whisper" album in 2003.

The meaning of the song is simple (hah!) enough. It is about a Mother speaking to her son about life. The song has a great many messages in it that I always try to live by.

For example, in the second verse (below) each line has an important message. The first line tells us to live in the present moment, to not spend too much time thinking about the past or future, because then the present will pass us by. The second line tells a sad fact of life, that no matter what one does, there will always be obstacles or difficulties put in our way that we will have to overcome. But, it also says that every sun that sets, also rises again. The third line touches me personally, because one of the things I crave most in life is to start a family with a woman who I love, and who loves me. Having been too socially awkward during school to talk to anyone, let alone women I found attractive, led me to be have never had a girlfriend. A sense of hopelessness can start to take you over, that you'll never meet, 'the one', but there's plenty of people out there. We should never settle for someone we don't love, or who doesn't love us. Because, somewhere out there, there is somebody who thinks you are their shooting star. Finally, the last line. I won't go into my personal religious views here, but regardless of your beliefs this is important. Even if you don't believe in God, Gods, or a higher power, then it's important to have faith that good will come. Whether that's faith that God will guide you, or faith in your own abilities, that is something vital that everyone should have.

"Oh take your time, don't live too fast

Troubles will come, and they will pass

You'll find a woman, and you'll find love

And don't forget that, there is someone up above"

Hope you guys are enjoying the music! 

Maybe for the next song I'll pick out a female singer for you guys.

hmm... then again Meatloaf is great. Ah, but so is Iron Maiden and Motley Crue and Metallica and - ugh, decision decisions.

Heyo People! 

I forgot to make a post on here yesterday, so to make up for that I'll post 2 videos today, hows dem apples?

The first video I've brought us is Staind's Something To Remind You. This song was released in 2011 in the album 'Staind' (Yes, the band and this album shared a name)

To me, this song is about moving on to better times, saying goodbye to the painful past, and leaving behind a legacy when we pass on.

The second song I picked out would be I Try, covered by Shawn James.

Originally released in 1999, the song was later released as a single in America in 2000. The song was then covered by Shawn James just last year.

The official meaning of the song is about trying and failing to move on from a past partner. However, I choose to interpret the song a bit differently. I think of loving someone who doesn't know, and trying to work up the courage to tell them how much you care for them.

Written by Jim Steinman, and sung by Meatloaf with Loraine Crosby, I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) is the only Meatloaf song to ever reach number one single on the Billboard Hop 100 chart and the UK Singles Chart. The song even earned Meatloaf a Grammy award for Best Solo Vocal Rock Performance. 

The song does have an official meaning, and it is one that I apply when I listen to it. I'd Do Anything for Love has quite the chivalrous meaning. It speaks about how the singer (Meatloaf) will only do things that will improve their relationship, and never anything that would harm it.

Most people think that the things that Meatloaf won't do isn't listed, and is kept as a mystery, however there are specific lines in the song which are things he won't do. They are: 

• "forget the way you feel right now"
  • "forgive myself if we don't go all the way tonight"
  • "do it better than I do it with you"

And

• "stop dreaming of you every night of my life"

Hey guys.

Just wanted to make a quick post in here for anyone that might've been watching the thread.

I've found myself getting busier and busier as the days go by and it's a little difficult to find time for this, but I'll try my best to post some music in here when I can. 

Much love guys - Adios!

Warning - long video (20 mins).

I thought that I would post some special music today, in honor of the site maintenance ending. 

Today, I've brought you the entire album of 2112, by Rush.

Now, normally I wouldn't post an entire album like this, but this case is unique because the entire album works together to tell a single story. 

I won't go into the meaning of the songs, as I think that would spoil things a bit, although I will say that even though the album was released some time ago (1976), it has many reflections in today's age, particularly America's political situation.

Rush itself was officially formed in Canada, 1971 with the members Alex Lifeson (Guitar), Geddy Lee (Bass, vocals, keyboards) and John Rutsy (drums, later replaced by Neil Peart in 1974).

The band went through numerous stylistic changes throughout their time touring, with their last tour in 2015, and their official disbandment in 2018.

This is Rush's most iconic album, 2112. featuring the songs:

Overture, The Temples of Syrinx, Discovery, Presentation, Oracle: The Dream, Soliloquy, and Grand Finale.

Ring-a-ding baby, guess who's back? 

Welcome to Sumner Kagen's not-quite daily song thread. 

In this post, I've got another song by Shawn James, this one is an original rather than a cover however.

Released on "The Dark and Light" album this year, on the surface it appears to simply be about the Salem Witch Trials. However, in my opinion, good music will have a deeper meaning than what lies on the surface, and this song is no different.

Never give up. That is the core meaning of this song. 

Think of all the famous inventors of our past. The Wright brothers for example, they were told over and over, for most of their life that their dream of creating a flying machine was impossible, that they were morons for wasting their lives on frivolous goals, wasted dreams. However, they kept going, despite the naysayers, and despite those that said it couldn't be done. They kept pushing and with grit and hope, they accomplished their dreams, they achieved the impossible dream. 

If someone says that something can't be done, it is not because it is impossible, rather, it is because they could not see them self's doing the same. So when someone attempts to crush your dreams, do not be angry at them, instead, be compassionate.

This time I've got something a little different for you guys.

Instead of a normal song like usual, I've got something with no lyrics. This is a purely instrumental piece, and it's rather long coming in at just over an hour in length.

turn up the volume, press play, and enjoy the beautiful guitar as I tell who just who Estas Tonne is.

There isn't much information available on him. Born in 1975 in the USSR, Estas Tonne picked up an instrument for the first time at age eight, when he began studying classical music. Having played guitar for 7 years, he stopped in 1990 when his family moved to Israel, before picking it up again 11 years later when he moved to New York in 2001. Since then, Mr. Tonne has been spreading the joy of his music wherever he goes, which happens to be a lot of places, rarely living in one place for more than a year. Estas is truly a master of being one, a master of the 'I'. He has finished his path of spiritual enlightenment and is now on the road of his true purpose. 

Hi ho, Hi ho, off to work we- wait, that's the wrong song.

Alrighty peeps and peepettes, this next one goes out to all you people going through tough times.

The song is "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole (say that 10 times fast!).

IZ was a major influence in both Hawain musical culture, and their independence, being a stout supporter of Hawaii's Sovereignty, both through his music and through his words and actions. 

Born and raised in Hawaii, IZ was influenced greatly by many great Hawaiian musicians, such as Peter Moon, Don Ho, and Moe Keale, who was his Uncle. He started playing music at age 11, along with his brother Skippy and his cousin Allen Thornton, due to his exposure to these performers. Iz also played in a band called, The Makaha Sons of Niʻihau, with his brother Skippy, and their band mates Louis Kauakahi, Sam Gray, and Jerome Koko. The band was an important part of the Hawaiian Renaissance.

The addition of this song to his album Facing Future, released in 1993, was said to have been a last minute decision between himself and his producer Jon de Mello. However, it seems that it was a good decision, because Facing Future became Hawaii's first certified platinum album and Somewhere over the Rainbow went on to be released as a single, and his most popular song.

Wooohooo! Who loves music? THIS GUY DOES! 

Today I've got you another song from the band Shinedown. This one is "Second Chance" released in September 8th, 2008, on the album 'The Sound of Madness'

Like most songs, this one has multiple interpretations, depending on perspective. Some people relate it to suicide, and some people relate it to ending toxic relationships. The official meaning of the song, released by Brent Smith, the lead singer, says that it is about leaving one's parents in order to start your own life pursuing your dreams. I take a slightly different interpretation from the original meaning myself. When I listen to this song, I think of taking that first step towards your dreams. Whether it's away from your parents, away from people who don't love you, even if you may love them, or just working up the courage to take the blind leap of faith into the abyss of the unknown.