MasterLay

The Death of Rock & Roll

Posted (edited)

As a massive fan of rock & metal genres, I couldn't help but wonder... What happened to my favourite genre (plural)? Did it die completely? 

Let's take a leap back in time. All the way back to 1960's. Well, maybe even a bit further.
The year is 1956.
"Heartbreak Hotel" by Elvis Presley is announced Billboard's #1 song on the "Pop" chart. That's the first time a Rock & Roll song claims that spot. This marks the beginning of the era. Different artists come and go, new genres arrive. Rock & Roll used to be what we consider "Pop music" nowadays.
as 1960s pass, the "Classic Rock" gives way to a new wave of rock. 1964, the "British Invasion" starts. The well known groups like The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Queen and Yes, as well as singers like David Bowie and Elton John... And that's just to name a few. Truly, a golden age for Rock music.

Fast forward to today. Did You notice? Rock is now niche. Most notably, Forbes posted an article titled "Rock 'N' Roll Is Dead. No, Really This Time" in 2017. To quote Danny Ross, the person behind the article,

"I too believed in its mythology and romance, its subversion and individualism, its ability to save. But rock 'n' roll is dead."

Later down in his article he points out the differences between the mainstream songs nowadays and the particular elements of Rock 'n' Roll. And he's right, You know? The difference is there. The things that made r'n'r have evolved. The people moved on. When is the last time You saw a rock song on top of the charts? The last time I did was 2002, with Nickelback's "How You Remind Me".

I share opinion with my idol, Gavin Dunne.

I personally think it's sad that rock music isn't really present in mainstream culture at the moment & hope it makes a return. But there is amazing stuff still out there if you know where to look! It's just a pity that so many rock artists have to quit because they can't make a living from it these days.

So, is Rock & Roll dead? Or has it just moved into different places & forms?

Feel free to share Your feelings and opinions. Let me know what You feel!

Edited by MasterLay