Wandering Soul — The Hypocrisy of Urgency

Hello you all. I’ve got a thought to digest. One that’s got me gritting my teeth.

What is up with urgency?

Allow me to give some context. A couple of weeks ago, I had one of the worst mental breakdowns that I have had in a long, long while. I won’t bore you with details, needless to say a lot of friends were worried about me. I did lose some friends as a result of this breakdown (to each their own) but that’s not necessarily what I am wanting to discuss today.

What I want to discuss is the hypocritical nature of urgency.

I can guarantee that a lot of us take things for granted. It’s practically human nature to never settle for what’s in front of you, to always strive for what is beyond. But because of that, we only react to something when it is urgent. When there is distress.

Today, I let my friends know that I was going to be taking a break from the Internet and interactions as a whole. Focus on myself and find something to make me happy. Sounds all good, right? Not a single concern.

If I used that approach before I broke down rather than doing what I did abruptly, I might not be alive. And no one would be the wiser, because it is in the back of their minds rather than right in front of them.

Urgency is a deception, it demands your attention, it makes others react. And if it’s not there? Nobody suspects anything is wrong. You can suffer in silence for an eternity, but so long as you make your struggle seem as lax as possible, people would hardly notice.

Isn’t there a phrase, if it’s important enough to do tomorrow you should do it today?

Edited by WanderingSoul